This is not to downplay any abuse suffered by women. And there are myriad platforms this is discussed in. My personal take is not to gender this issue and to deal with violence in general (yes we accept there are gender differences, in this case actually a lot so we act differently AS APPROPRIATE and ONLY WHERE NEEDED but we tackle the issue AS A WHOLE from the outset, using gendered laws and terms only when there is a good reason). However, this is not a commonly held view. For some dare I say almost all feminists, this is a gendered issue and the 1 in 4 men are not of concern as we should be focusing only on women. This is not a "feeling" or a sentiment that you can deny by simply saying "i don't so its not true, feminists do support men" - it is a cold hard fact, 2 mens shelters compared to 2000 for women as a result of where they have focused their attention in REALITY (I cant say I really care about my health if feel it but im over 400lb in reality), biased policies and campaigns only focusing on women; multiple specific gendered domestic violence acts and laws yet always and exclsively for women alone.
The soloution: either feminists need to take this issue about men seriously in terms of trying to solve it with cold hard ACTUAL change/ lobbying/ campagning/ funding/ (not just "yeah men can be victims too we care") OR they need to allow MRA's to approach the issue without the constanst blocking/ banning/ no platforming MRAs who do receive. Even the sheer outrage when we mention statistics. Legendary feminist ERIN PIZZEY opened the first battered shelter for women in the world. When she attempted to do so for men, many years later she received death threats and rape threats by other feminists. Domestic violence, was raised in the mens conference at the university of Cambridge. This event was savagely no platformed/ protested and by (some) feminists and they even played bells to stop the speakers from being heard.
- Other points, is time to remove uncessary gendered laws in many countries and states such as "male assualts female" which is a specific offence in some US states and commonwealth countries. Entirely uncessary, as it is covered under normal gender neutral law, and it makes no sesne why there should not be a "female assualts male" law or female assualts child and so on.
- In countries such as Australia there are no mandatory courses abusers who are women who are domestic abusers on avoidin violence, yet there are for men against women. This is one of countless over sights and gendered centric approaches, that currently taget one gender only.
- Either gender neutral violence acts (that of course leave room for even significantly different approaches to the genders, as it is very different) or specific acts that cover mens abuse, as there will be differences.
- The law needs rapidly gender neutralisisng and services refocused so we avoid regular occurences were male victims who call the police are being arrested or leaving the home! Male VICTMS being charged with DV and then forced to pay fines, attend training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhq13TVRGc. See the videos in (5) and you can clearly see why this is happening.
- General public awareness and understanding, so we avoid this:
Thoughs and ideas?
#DEBATE THE IDEAS, NOT THE PERSON #Do not judge people's competence or moral goodness/badness based on their junk please. #STOP GENDERING EVERY ISSUE WHEN IT IS NOT REQUIRED #MEN AND WOMEN WORK TOGETHER TP GET SHIT DONE #SOME MEN, SOME WOMEN, NOT ALL MEN, ALL WOMEN #MAKE LOVE NOT WAR #BE KIND #USE A BIDET TO WIPE PLEASE # WIPE FROM FRONT TO BACK, NEVER THE OTHER WAY UNLESS YOU WANT A UTI