I've noticed this topic has come up several times, either as a side conversation in comments or in irc chat. Quite a few of us have lamented not having quality girl friendships that encourage us to be the best first-mates that we can be while avoiding the SO-bashing, you-go-grrl, strong, independent, I don't need no man, if you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best.
So where do we find these types of friends? Since you are RPW where do you go when you're looking to find new friends, or are open to making them? Where do you girls hang out for fun?
Lately I haven't had a lot of free time between work, classes, and the SO. But I do try to take some time by myself to go for nature walks and read in the local cafe. However I'm not sure how conducive those activities are to being social and making friends. What about you? Here's some other ideas I've seen around here:
- volunteering. There are websites out there where you can find local volunteer opportunities like working in a soup kitchen or repairing nature trails. You can hold babies in the hospital or sort goods at food pantries. Lots of options!
- classes (like art, cooking, language, dance)
- gym (yoga, pilates, butt class [lol I can't remember the name of this but I remember someone making friends there])
- church stuff for the religious folk
- clubs for books, knitting, sewing, etc
- using websites like groupon/livingsocial to find ideas and coupons. On living social there have a section for classes under "Things to do"
- your local community garden! you get fresh air, the zen of gardening, and helping out bees.
- there's always our IRC channel too if you're up for some virtual camaraderie