HRT how to

Reddit View
February 11, 2018

As MRP is aimed at an audience more advanced in years I for one feel this should be a topic with knowledge readily available. Also from reading OYS and just general comments I know more then a few people here are getting help with their hormones.

My personal concern is what is the best route to take to get some coverage from insurance?

Do you start with your GP, or try to find a local men's clinic?

What is your experience and any advice to offer?

Proper T levels fit in with STFU and Lift as we get closer to 40 and beyond.

Post Information
Title HRT how to
Author NoCoast82
Upvotes 9
Comments 28
Date 11 February 2018 05:24 AM UTC (3 years ago)
Subreddit askMRP
Original Link
Similar Posts

Red Pill terms found in post:

[–]RedPillPowerNine7 points8 points  (4 children) | Copy

Of you talk to an endocrinologist about low testosterone, they only give a shit about one symptom, limp dick. Every other low t symptom can be attributed to lifestyle.

Trt makes a HUGE difference when you are actually low.

I can't up sell it enough.

It can also put a huge strain on a marriage, it sends the man's libido into orbit and adds +4 to confidence. There is a correlation between high testosterone and men leaving their wives and girlfriends to fuck other woman. It's a feature that the feminine imperative loves to rail against.

Testosterone = man therefore testosterone = bad.

[–]red-sfpplusHard Core Red1 point2 points  (2 children) | Copy


My wife specifically got on female TRT just to keep up with me.

[–]RedPillPowerNine2 points3 points  (0 children) | Copy

Shit is that a thing? I would be to scared of my wife's androgen response.

[–]LBEB800 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

What does it do for females in the non-athletic arena?

[–]RPWolfAlpha_as_Wolf_2.00 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

So this is one of a few concerns I have about starting TRT. I went to a GP (female) and was told you’re getting old, it’s part of the process. There aren’t many outlets for TRT where I live and did a lot of research on my own. Finally found a specialist who would treat symptoms and not just sex drive (that’s fine and has never been an issue). Got my blood panel done and while I know there are many variables in having low T which were part of the panel, my free T came back 380 which isn’t considered low but it’s on the low side of normal. The specialist is still willing to treat the other symptoms but I am just not sure.

I am getting the quality of sex I want but not the quantity and as it stands now I want to fuck every day. If my libido goes through the roof I’m going to be fucking holes in the dry wall.

[–]2ndalRed Beret3 points4 points  (3 children) | Copy

This advice is U.S. specific.

First: do you have any symptoms of Low T, or are you just looking for a boost?

The first thing you need to do is get a full blood panel. Do some Google searching. Focus on TRT blood panels You don't need a doctor for this in most cases. Once you have your blood work results, do some research to understand where and how you may be deficient. Understand all the terminology. Become your own expert. If you are within range on Testosterone in particular, even on the low end, it's going to be difficult to find a GP who will prescribe you TRT. If you're way low, finding treatment will be easier.

The most ideal situation is finding a local doctor who understands modern hormonal replacement therapy focused on men. If he determines you need replacement as a medical necessity, he will be able to prescribe what you need and it'll be covered by insurance. This is difficult though. Most GPs will have some working knowledge but it won't compare to a specialist. At worst, they will put you on a regimen that is outdated and inefficient, and maybe even make your symptoms worse.

Chances are you're not going to find a local doctor who you can trust like you can trust a specialist.

If you're willing to pay out of pocket, go to a specialist. But be wary here as well. Tons of T shops have opened up and they are in many cases not trustworthy. They're businesses, and they'll do what it takes for you to become a customer -- even give you shit you don't need. If they're advertising on the radio or using half naked women to lure you in, stay away.

My recommendation is to schedule a consultation with a trusted specialist. I use Defy Medical. They're out of Florida, but take clients from all over the country. It's going to be more expensive, but you're going to be working with a doctor who is a top specialist and knows his shit. You're going to cut through a lot of garbage by going to a doctor like this. I wish I had done this originally. Instead, I bounced between local GPs and garbage T Shops who didn't know what they were doing and I suffered because of it. After a couple of weeks with Defy, I was on a regimen that balanced everything out and I felt better than I had in years.

Now that I've been with Defy, I use them twice a year to consult on blood work and make any changes as necessary, but I get my medicine through my doctor. This is the best situation you can find yourself in, honestly. A local GP who will work with a specialist like Defy. I end up still consulting with the best in the business, but saving a ton of money by using my GP's prescription through my insurance. Using this GP-specialist method I end up spending about $400 a year on blood work and consultations plus medicine, which is around $20 a month. Needles cost me about $100 a year. All said and done it's probably $50 a month for top notch treatment. Most local T Shops offer horrible service and charge $200+ per month. Avoid them.

[–]platewrecked0 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

but saving a ton of money by using my GP's prescription through my insurance.

Good write up but this may not be accurate and may be improved upon. A 10ml vial of pharma test cyp runs around $41.00 at Walgreen's. #20 1mg Adex are around $15.00 at Publix and a few other primacies. This is the out of pocket cost. Always check GoodRx before using your insurance.

[–]screechhaterRed Beret2 points3 points  (0 children) | Copy

The most important thing to do before HRT is blood pressure check and diabetes.

Today, right now throw out all the crap and change your diet, get a minimum of a good 6 hours of sleep and exercise

You are actually in quite a bit of control in your production of testosterone. But until you get into a position of producing it, it will be low because of the sedentary lifestyle

[–]WhiteTrashKillerRed Beret1 point2 points  (0 children) | Copy

Read, Read, Read! Before you start any HRT program you should be well versed in how your body works. You need to understand your hormones and what they do and what affects them. Start by getting a complete CBC with lipid panel, you need to check your total and free T, SHBG levels, FSH, TSH and LH values, E2, PSA. You should know these acronymns what they are and what affects them. Going on TRT will only mask your symptoms if you have a shitty diet and lifestyle. This should be fixed first. Diet and exercise alone can raise your T a substantial amount. If you find after fixing this, that your levels are still low you may have higher SHBG levels keeping your free T suppressed or your body could be converting your T to E at a higher rate.

I read 3 or 4 books before I even went for a blood panel to consult a Dr. Most Dr's will work with you if you can cite studies and give them the hard info they don't have. You need to have an informed opinion on why you need the treatments, while understanding the benefits as well as the risks.

As was stated here the quality of life goes through the roof, but you and only you are responsible to manage your health. This therapy isn't to be taken lightly or administered half heartedly. You could seriously fuck your body up doing it wrong.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to use the smallest dose you can to achieve well being.

[–]hystericalbonding0 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

Low testosterone is sometimes caused by other health issues. See a competent doctor first. GP vs specialist doesn't always indicate the level of competence, but specialists in urology or endocrinology usually know more than GPs. Decide what to do after that.

[–]redditanew0 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

I also recommend naturopathic doctors. They do a lot more work with the full range of hormones than a GP. Often they recommend supplements first, but mine was open to TRT assuming we can't raise my levels with supplements.

Also, check out /r/Testosterone/ as it is geared toward TRT therapy, not steroid use for lifting.

[–]SteelToeShitKickerRed Beret0 points1 point  (2 children) | Copy

My personal concern is what is the best route to take to get some coverage from insurance?

You are going to pull your hair out getting them to pay. It's not worth your time, and if it is, your time would be better spent finding some way, any way, to make money. Mow some lawns.

If you are secondary hypogonadism, clomid costs 45$ for 3 months. If you are primary hypogonadism, T Cyp costs 42$ for 3 months. Arimidex costs 20$ for 6 months worth. Stay away from pellets and fancy creams, and you won't be paying much for your drugs.

My insurance pays for my bloodwork, which can be sizeable to start, but once you are on, occassional bloodwork is cheap. I pay my doc 200$ per visit and he requires to see my smiling face 4x a year.

Google "concierge doc" for your area. These guys are cash only, find one that is knowledgeable about men's issues. Stay away from the TRT mills.

Summary: TRT can be cheap. Getting scammed never is.

[–]WesternhagenWinner0 points1 point  (1 child) | Copy

Agree. This is precisely my experience. T Cyp is cheap (you can get 10mL for $66 from CostCo without joining CostCo), so are needles and Arimindex if you need that. Blood work and see the doctor every three months, also a few hundred bucks each time.

I am using a concierge doc, but at this point that's more for my peace of mind than anything else.

CVS is a real pain in the ass. They will only give you 1mL bottles, no more than four at a time, so you have to keep going back in there. I stopped using them.

[–]SteelToeShitKickerRed Beret0 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

CVS is a real pain in the ass. They will only give you 1mL bottles, no more than four at a time, so you have to keep going back in there. I stopped using them.

Funny, my doc warned me not to take 1ml bottles and wrote on the script that it should be dispensed as a 10ml bottle. I got mine from CVS and they did hassle me that I should throw it away after 30 days, I told them I'd take it under consideration. Not planning on doing that.

You can get anything really cheap if you don't mind printing a coupon and presenting before purchase.

[–]TurdDoctor0 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

Why do you need HRT? What do you hope it to fix for you? Are you even lifting as heavy as you can?

If you are doing the work and still have legit medical issues, see a real doctor and then a specialist if your medical issue isn’t resolved.

As for insurance, like most things in life, there’s no free lunch, you get what you pay for. Why do you expect great treatment for free? Take responsibility for yourself.

[–]The_LitzRed Beret0 points1 point  (3 children) | Copy

My path with TRT

Made no gains at gym, depressed, fatigued and though I still had erections there were a few instances where I was left with a half limp dick.

Got my bloodwork tested by myself. Took it to a GP that I knew treated guys for low T. I decided on him as the local Mens Health clinic is run by a business man who just has a few locums writing scripts to all and sunder.

GP put me on Nibido. I read up on Nebido and realised he was clueless and had the intervals of the injections all wrong.

GP2, my usual GP, was even more clueless, but reluctantly gave me a script with the correct intervals of the injections. Now things were humming smoothly.

GP stops next round of scripts. Books me with a cardiologist to check things out. Still fatigued and a history of family heart disease.

Now my dick starts going limp, I am depressed, lifting goes down the drain.

Cardiologist gives the all clear, gives me Viagra and a referall to a urologist.

The urologist does bloodwork, checks everything and puts me back on Nebido.

The urologist also scheduled follow up bloodwork to fine tune the injection intervals.

For the past 3 months life is humming perfectly.

Lessons learned, most GP's are not up to date with TRT. Get your bloodwork done and go straight to a uro or endo. If unsure what to test for, go straight to the uro. Even if your T is fine a checkup is a good idea.

Nebido vs. Other T replacements. I can't give an opinion on the other. Everyone I dealt with is heavily pro Nibido. Effective marketing or a good product?

What I like about it is that I get 1 injection every 12 weeks. No hassle.

Cons, it is expensive. Not that the others are cheap. For muscle building and outright kick in the pants the other may be better. All the steroid websites recommend other products above Nebido.

Moral of the story, don't fart around, go straight to a uro. I lost a lot of time on the wrong path.

Edit: That turned into a rant didn't it.

[–]red-sfpplusHard Core Red2 points3 points  (0 children) | Copy

Rant? Yes but there is value in your comment.

I have a friend who does the 12 week injections and another that does the test seeds they put in his ass under his skin.

Their values thru those 12 weeks are like a roller coaster.

If you can get good old Test-C and pin it every 7 days or even better 3.5 days IM, you will have extremely stable blood levels and overall be far happier IMHO.

[–]resolutions3161 point2 points  (0 children) | Copy

The biggest takeaway here is to not blindly accept what the doctor says.

Bowing to expertise is in general a good heuristic, but it still pays to spend the time researching, verifying, and taking in second opinions.

[–]WesternhagenWinner1 point2 points  (0 children) | Copy

what is the best route to take to get some coverage from insurance?

I don't find it a hassle to inject T Cyp once a week. Takes 5 minutes. Keeps my levels stable, no peak and crash.

[–]red-sfpplusHard Core Red0 points1 point  (1 child) | Copy

I was on Dr prescribed TRT for almost 5 years (31-36) until I jumped ship and started to do it my own.

I got it all from my GP who was a man, and sympathetic to my issues. My level at 31 was 250.

I ran 100-200mg a week of Test-C for 5 years. It was fine. Now I do other things.

I would start with your GP esp if it is a man. Go in and talk about low energy, etc. Google Low-T symptoms. Get the initial blood work from them.

If none of that is an option then I would move up to the Endo route.

Finally would be a full on Anti-Aging clinic, which is where my wife goes. This will be expensive, but you will walk out with a script for test.

Assuming USA and you have decent insurance if you can go the GP route you can get your test covered many times.

Just know, once you start you are on for life.

Anyone who tells you to go UGL or self administer when jumping on is a fucking idiot and you should discount their advice 100%

[–]WesternhagenWinner0 points1 point  (0 children) | Copy

what is the best route to take to get some coverage from insurance?

Most of them are beta male bluepill types who are dismissive of TRT. For years my GP said, "your values are normal for your age" - and like a dumbass I didn't ask him exactly what they were.

You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

© TheRedArchive 2021. All rights reserved.

created by /u/dream-hunter