Since there were a lot of concerns, I will again clarify our plans on our backup forums.
- We won't be moving unless we have to.
- The reservation form is on puerarchy.com but due to demand, the forums will be hosted at our new domain: https://forums.red (Special thanks to donations from /u/-Anteros- and others from the IRC)
- The backup forums will not be hosted on voat or any other reddit clone. We intend on making a jump once, and only once. It would be irresponsible for us to trade one master for another, and frankly I don't trust anybody with the future of TRP that isn't our mod team.
- Monitization Policy: Our hope and goal is that the new servers will be entirely supported by donations. We are still considering the best ways to do so, but our plan mostly consists of allowing users to donate or sponsor the boards for some level of recognition within the community. We may also try google ads, but honestly those aren't terribly profitable and we just need enough to run the boards. However, there are a few additional details:
- We also plan on allowing users to "tip" other users/bloggers to show their support for their contributions. We don't want it to be a 'reddit gold' scenario, but an actual way to send money. We're still trying to find the best way to do so and preserve anonymity.
- We will never monetize the main forum line up, the order of the posts, featuring posts, or removing posts. These will remain entirely community driven (so long as they meet our content guidelines).
- If we make so many donations that we get filthy rich, I'm going to buy the mods the best whiskey we can afford. They fucking deserve it.
- We really do plan on spending it on continued operating costs. If you don't trust us, don't donate. I think the mod team here has demonstrated over the past few years exactly where our hearts are on this matter. If you think this has been for profit, then you've got no idea just how many raw hours each mod has put into keeping this place going. The new forums alone have been a labor of love, and I don't expect to be compensated for the time. (And on that note, if you're wondering why we're re-inventing the wheel with our forums, I'll explain below).
- The puerarchy reservation forum is not SSL. If you don't like this, you can wait. Our new forums are SSL protected. The database passwords are individually salted and encrypted (one-way-hased). You will be able to reserve your reddit name or make a new name if you choose. Your current reddit username will be protected from being registered by other users if it appears in our archives. (We have currently about 23,588 most active subscribers archived).
So why are we reinventing the wheel on these forums?
First of all, the reddit codebase is open source, and we actually started with that. We found it large, bulky, and too many changes needed to be made to get it where we wanted it.
We had the goal of improving the mod tools, making moderation easier, and making the archiving of our old forums simple. After much deliberation and man hours mucking around with the reddit code and a few different forum scripts, the decision was made to do it from scratch.
We have security as a topmost priority. Which is why we are involving a few different members who work in development making sure that this is secure. We will be rigorously testing the scripts as we develop for any security holes, csrf attacks, injection attacks, and the like. Our database is salted and encrypted. Your security is number one.
We have been hard at work over the past few months making sure this happens so that the future of this community is secure. We do so because the team (myself included) care greatly for the outcome of this community.
Just a few days ago I was chatting with another mod, and it occurred to both of us that TRP wasn't just to share information with others, it was for our own sanity, to find other like minded individuals. I know it's saved my life, and I suspect many share that feeling. So let's continue to do what we do best, and rest assured that we have backups in place, and a lot of work is going on behind the scenes.
Here are some stats:
- We currently have 252,255 comments archived.
- We have the top 1,000 posts archived from /r/theredpill, /r/asktrp, /r/redpillwomen, and /r/ThankTRP
- We have 23,588 of the most active subscribers archived
- Here are some screenshots of the new forums: