A lot of life gets wasted on meaningless activities. Hours spent on worthless nothing. To make the most out of our day it’s important to fill it with things we are proud of and that make us feel alive.
And since you’re reading this, good news. You’re one step closer to seeing a ripped badass every time you look in the mirror.
I could ask why you’re here, but I know. Like that scene in American Beauty when Kevin Spacey is jogging with his neighbors and they ask him his fitness goals, whether he wants to gain muscle or lose fat, and he responds: “I wanna look good naked.”
Aside from making you more attractive, exercise has countless benefits: Positive confidence feedback loop, energy, brainpower (builds gray area) – the list goes on.
Socrates said*“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable”*
As of May 2020, youu may find yourself with extra time on your hands to finally commit to your best body ever. Only one problem: the gyms are closed.
So what do we do?
WORKOUT WITH NO EQUIPMENT:
Do 6 minute abs 4 days a week (2 days on, 1 day rest, 2 days on, 2 days rest)
This workout came from research at Stanford to find the most effective way to get shredded abs.
- 25 leg lifts + Kick heels to ceiling (1 rep per second)
- 15 seconds rest
- 25 leg lifts + Kick heels to ceiling (1 rep per second)
- 25 slow crunches (3 seconds up, exhale and flex, 3 seconds down)
- 15 crunches towards the ceiling as fast as possible.
- 1 Minute Plank
Abs are non-negotiable in any no-gym fitness routine. Work on them consistently and they will pay off. Visible abs and a developed upper chest/shoulders are the two things people notice when they see a shirtless man.
Chest + Triceps
Pushups baby. Get used to them. Do 100 every other day. Get there in sets of 20, or 10 if you cannot yet do 20. Once 20 is easy, work up to 30, 40, etc.
You can do variations of push ups: Close grip to get more Tricep involvement, wide grip for more chest. Put your feet up on a couch or a chair to get an inclined push-up angle that will work your shoulders and upper chest more.
Back + Biceps
Without weights to curl or row, our Back and Biceps are going to need to do pull ups on something.
Ideally youu have at least a door-frame chin up bar. If not, ask your uncle if you can borrow his. Find a safe tree branch to use until he gets back to you.
Do 3 sets of x 5 Pullups but go slow (10 second count) on the way down for every rep and squeeze your shoulder blades together. This is called an Eccentric rep, the 2nd best way to build muscle according to all of my friends who use steroids.
If you want to focus on more biceps and less back, move your hands inside and palms facing you. Squeeze your biceps at the top of every rep.
You can do body weight squats and lunges but without weights our best efforts are going to come from something more explosive.
SPRINTS. Great for burning fat and building muscle. Increases metabolism and human growth hormone production.
10 sprints burns more fat than an hour of jogging – isn’t that crazy?
Even if your goal is to build muscle rather than to shed fat – the less fat you have, the more testosterone you produce – and testosterone is the building block of muscle.
Go to a local park or football field and run 300 feet and then walk the 300 feet back.
Then run the 300 feet 3 times at 70% speed, 80% speed, and at 90% speed.
Add an additional 90% speed rep at the end every time you go until you’re running 10 sprints a workout.
At that point, you can mix it up and switch to sprinting up hills. My physical trainer friends always preach this one, as does Joe Rogan. Sprinting hills is the ultimate lower body workout, it works every muscle beneath your hip.
Find a big steep hill and sprint up it many times. Simple as that.
Add a set of 25 box jumps and lunges until failure after your sprints for a full workout.
They say 80% of body building happens in the kitchen.
Use the Macro calculator on BodyBuilding.com to find the perfect amount of carbs, protein, and fat you should eat every day according to your specific goals and lifestyle.
If you’re not that serious don’t worry about it. Just focus on having at least 1 lb of protein for every pound you weigh, and stay away from sugar.
This should go without saying, but don’t drink soda and eat candy.
Practice your cooking if you don’t already cook every day. Cooking is easy. I had a family friend that used to always say “If you can read, you can cook.” Just look up recipes and follow the directions.
Here’s a list of foods you should combine into various combinations and eat:
Eggs, Chicken, Steak, Pork
- I always eat 4 eggs for breakfast with black pepper and Crystal Hot Sauce. I cook them in Coconut oil + Salt for extra healthy fat , but you can use olive oil or even butter.
- Eggs have healthy cholesterol that converts into testosterone, and 4 eggs every day hits a cholesterol threshold you need to produce max amount of testosterone naturally.
- For meat, you can google recipes but generally follow two steps:
- 1.) Marinade it 2.) Cook it in either a pan or the oven.
- I get a pack of chicken breast from Wal-mart for 1.99 a pound. Marinade a few breasts in Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, and Oregano and throw them in the fridge. Cook in a pan on medium heat for 5 mins each side. Same with Steak too.
- For our meal preppers who want to cook a lot of meat at once, bake meat on a sheet in oven for 35 mins at 400 degrees.
Oatmeal (Old Fashioned Oats/Steel Cut)
- Notice I don’t list bread here.
- Cook Rice with every meal to hit your carbs goal. Get a rice cooker, trust me. They’re about $10-$20 on amazon and will consistently cook perfect rice for you in 15 minutes every time. One of the best investments you can make into your body building career in my opinion.
- Steel cut oats mixed with a scoop of whey protein and fruit is a quick power food. They are very cheap, you can get a tub from Walmart for under $3. Just microwave a bowl full of oats + water for 2 minutes and then mix in the fruit and whey. About 30 grams of healthy carbs and 30 grams of protein.
- For best tasting oatmeal, I add whey protein + bananas + blueberries with water. Use other fruits if you’d like (apples + cinnamon is good) Use milk if you need help bulking but it has a lot of sugar and can have estrogenic properties
Fruit + Vegetables:
Vegetables: Broccoli + Cauliflower (cruciferous veggies lead to higher testosterone), Spinach/Salad, Onions + Peppers. Any vegetable you like is probably good for you. Sweet potatoes also count as carbs but are acceptable.
Fruit: Bananas, Blue Berries, Pomegranate. Avocado for healthy fat. A lot of fruit is high sugar but if you’re exercising a good amount and staying away from other sources of sugar eat as much as you want.
Sauces and Salad Dressings:
Find flavorful sauces to accompany all of the chicken and rice you will be eating. Hot Sauce is good for burning fat. Mustard is lower on sugar compared to Ketchup and BBQ Sauce.
You can use Plain Greek Yogurt and mix in Garlic and Cucumbers to make Tazaki sauce. (You can google Tazaki recipes for proper ratio) This is a tasty and high protein low sugar sauce youu can use to top your chicken or salads.
Pick a sauce and throw one food from every category into 3 meals a day. So for example:
Breakfast of Eggs, Rice, Avocado with Hot Sauce.
Lunch of Tazaki Chicken + a side of Oatmeal mixed with Blueberries.
Dinner of Teriyaki ground beef with rice and broccoli.
Snack on high protein things like Greek Yogurt (ideally low sugar) or Cottage Cheese before you sleep, as they are high in slow digesting Casien protein. Celery + Peanut Butter is a great snack post workout with a fruit and a whey shake.
Drink a lot of water too, a gallon a day if possible. Crucial for muscle building.
There are obviously a million and one workout guides online, so if you don’t like this one you can find more.
No ground breaking science in this other than exercise and eat properly.
Do harder workouts every week to achieve progressive overload – continually increasing the demands on the musculoskeletal system to continually make gains in muscle size, strength, and endurance.
Sleep 8 hours a night, drink water, and don’t drink too much alcohol
Practice cooking every day as it’s an essential skill for survival.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments!