As a regular visitor and commenter in this sub it’s easy to see some key issues that get discussed here.
Usually, the comments made here do not translate well into real life; however there is one topic that I have seen talked about on Reddit and regular mainstream news.
The dangers of being single.
It’s interesting how this topic changes in intensity depending on gender. How the media talks about single men and single women is very different.
Let’s look at “involuntarily” single women:
- Will be alone at the end of their life.
- Possibly financially unstable.
- Still able to have sex, not able to get commitment.
- may blame themselves for their situation.
- May convince others to not seek relationships with such urgency
Now for involuntary single men:
- Angry and volatile at their situation.
- May contribute to hostile movements either online or in person.
- Blames others for their situation and feels like they are in a loosing battle.
- General worry that these men need to get into relationships before they reach the end of their ropes.
Why is it that single men seem to treat being single as a justification for violence? Even here, it’s often said that “unwanted men will eventually say they’ve had enough”. There is a threat that’s hanging over the heads of women and wanted men, that doesn’t happen when the discussion is focused on single women.
The hatred that single men may embody for themselves and the world around them is now an issue women have been asked to consider.
Single men have weaponized their relationship status: made it a movement and a battle cry: so I ask, what can be done?
One of the main issues I see is men discussing not having access to the women they want. The women they want are used up. The women they want don’t want them.
Honestly, what can we even do to fix that?
Why are involuntarily single women not expressing the same violent behaviors, especially when they have much more to lose, much more quickly than the single man?
There are invisible women out here that halve never been given attention. Some have never even had someone only want them for access to sex. Their chance at motherhood and family has passed them, or will soon pass them by, and they are sad, depressed, despondent even, but not livid.
Whats going wrong here?